We asked culinary star Elena Besser what her favorite tips and tricks are to make Thanksgiving Day delicious yet manageable.
- Worried about turkey being dry? Cook the bird upside down so the juices run to the breast; then flip back over at the end of cooking and broil to get a crispy skin. Or, forget the turkey and opt for a Thanksgiving chicken!
- Write out all dishes ahead of time and make a solid list of ingredients. Organize the list by meat, dairy, produce, pantry and other. Once organized, plan out what meals can be made in advance and reheated; and prepare accordingly.
- Get friends and family involved! Create a sign-up sheet for each dish and make your family members take ownership of one or two so you can monitor them, without feeling like it's all on your shoulders.
- Don't be afraid to bring store-bought food into the mix. Pre-made dough is fantastic for whipping up appetizers and desserts. Or, purchase desserts from your favorite store and just focus on dinner!
- Use craft paper for an affordable and easy tablecloth. With a metallic sharpie, make place settings directly on the paper and throw everything away at the end of the meal for easy clean-up.
- As far as décor is concerned, skip flowers and opt for fall produce. Pears, small squash, fresh herbs, pomegranates, citrus, artichokes and apples make fantastic centerpieces.
We're featuring two seasonal recipes from Elena's blog. Check 'em out below!
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Winter Citrus and Avocado Salad