Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Peach and Corn
We teamed up with local cooking school, The Brooklyn Kitchen, to offer virtual cooking classes to help you get the most out of your weekly Farm To People Farm Box!
Our first class was on Thursday, July 30th 2020 and was a blast!
Below is just one of the recipes that we made featuring ingredients from the Medium Seasonal Produce Box from the week of 7/27/20.
- 1-2 Peaches
- 1-2 cobs of Corn
- 1 small Zucchini
- ¼ bunch Basil
- 1 cup Chard stem (plus 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt)
- Oil & Vinegar of choice!
- Flaky sea salt & pepper
- Over an open flame (grill, gas stove or really Hot Pan) Char your corn for 1-2 minutes, rotating for nice smoky char.
- Cut corn off the cob. Cut stone fruit (peaches, plums, cherries, nectarines, etc.) in “random chunks” This looks less machine cut & the rustic look add some beauty. With a mandolin, peeler or sharp knife, shave off ribbons of your zucchini, nice and thin so they can bend but not snap.
- Arrange fruit & corn in one layer on a platter vs. a bowl. Arrange zucchini ribbons throughout. This can be done ahead of time. These aren’t apples aka NO oxidation. This salad can be dressed right when you are ready to serve it.
- When ready to serve, play around with fun oils & vinegars. Use that specialty salt you were gifted and have been curious when to use. Whole or hand torn herbs look best & will be less likely to turn brown than chopped herbs! (basil, mint, dill, parsley, cilantro, scallions are all great on this salad). Optional dollops of yogurt, ricotta or burrata, goat, feta is a wonderful addition.
For pickled Chard stems:
- Place (equal parts) 1 cup water & 1 cup vinegar in a small pot. Add 1 tbsp sugar & 1 tsp salt to your pot. Bring to a boil & pour over chard stems (OR green beans, okra, green tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.) Let cool at room temp before moving to your fridge.
- Sprinkle over salad or anywhere that needs a little acid!